Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Where did the Month of May go?

I had a weird depressing moment last Saturday. In the moment, I felt as if I had forgotten to call my Mom on Mother's Day. It was like realizing sometime late in the afternoon that it was Christmas day.

It was opening day at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I didn't realize it until about 5:00 while I was on a grocery run.

Back in the day, the Indy 500 was the month of May around here. There was nothing else. There was an energy in the air. Celebrities visited, the track was crowded, and a huge portion of the evening news focused on the day's events at the Speedway. Those of you that have heard the words, "And it's a new track record" bellowed out by the late Ton Carnegie, know what I mean.

But those days are sadly gone. It was 5:00pm and I had forgotten about my best childhood friend. I forgot about an event that I loved, an event that helped shape my life, and supported me financially for many years. Forgot.

So I turn on the radio. 1070am. They were talking baseball. FREAKING BASEBALL on 1070am in Indianapolis at 5:00pm on a Saturday in May. So I turn on the 'new' WIBC, 93.1 hoping to hear the familiar voice of Donald Davidson. Nope. They were talking money and finance. I scanned all stations and nothing.

What was formerly "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing" is a fading gem, even for a kid that lived and loved it. It is now a parade of Dallara-Honda-Firestones. Gone are the Eagles, Mallards, Coyotes. Gone is the buzz and excitement that the annual event formerly brought to town.

There are many reasons why, but I can't change it, and I'm not sure that anyone can. From now on, the Indy 500 will be limited to a 225mph-ish contest, constrained by the insurance companies and the lawyers. There most likely will be no new track records.

That ship has sailed and I should just be glad to have witnessed it at its zenith.

The month of May is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Hit Counters